Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Prompt 3- Hopelessly Old Fashioned

I am very old fashioned. Here are five ways that I exhibit my old fashioned ideals.

1. I believe that you should always, always, always be as polite as possible. If you offend someone, whether it's just or not, you should apologize. Their hurt or offended feelings matter more than whether or not you meant to offend. My mother hates to be cussed in front of. I try my best to respect that, even if I myself am not offended by foul language. I try to say "please" and "thank you" even if it's for a task that isn't optional, because it acknowledges that person's compliance. Being polite and caring about what someone else is feeling doesn't put any strain on you, and it might just help heal someone else's bad day.

2. I believe that you should wait till you're married to get jiggy. 95% of modern Americans don't wait, and I feel like they are cheating themselves out of something beautiful. There are exceptions to this, of course... and I don't think anyone should be judged or condemned simply because they didn't keep it in their pants, but I do believe waiting is the right thing to do. I waited. And I am very glad I did.

3. I believe in going to church. This seems like an old fashioned practice now adays... But I truly believe there is something spiritually uplifting about going to church. There are bad churches and bad people in good churches, but I think people should keep going, keep trying... Church is a worthwhile experience. Even if you're going to a church that's a different religion. Being around people who believe in God and lift you up and help you think about spirituality is a crucial part of becoming a well-rounded individual. And if not church, taking some time out of your week to reflect and relax and find some connection to something bigger than yourself is fine too. But actually doing it. Not just ignoring church because you aren't a believer or don't like the church of your religion in your area. Finding time to connect into a greater energy is very important.

4. I believe alcohol should only be used socially. I don't know if this is old fashioned or not, but let's just go with it. Drinking around people who can't drink seems pointless, and drinking to the point of drunkeness is just rude. Don't get me wrong, I have gotten drunk in my life... I felt extremely rude and very silly afterwards. So if you're with someone who cannot drink, or doesn't want to drink, it seems to me, you'll both have a better time if you just stay sober. Even just one. I think not drinking is always a better idea.

5. I believe in reading. There is nothing like reading. You get sucked into a good book and get carried away by someone else's story... but when you read... it's not the author's story anymore, it's your's. It's all your's. You get to picture the characters and create their voices... books are truly magical.

So those are the 5 ways I am hopelessly old fashioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment