Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Hard Feelings

   "Hope there are no hard feelings."
  What does that mean, "hard feelings"? What are hard feelings? Hard to express feelings? Hard to talk about feelings? Hard to hear feelings? They're usually used in a context of anger. "I guess I have some hard feelings..." Is it a hardening of your heart? I have a hard heart against you? Hard feelings.
  Aren't most feelings hard? Wouldn't it be so much easier if you were just a blank slate 100% of the time. No feelings. You get up. You do the work you need to do. You go to bed. Easy. So many "dystopian future" movies emphasize these sorts of worker-bee methods. Deaden the senses, pacify the public... work in peace. But work without love. Without joy. Without any of the good stuff that comes along with the big complicated feelings.
   Hard feelings. What does the dictionary say about this? "Feelings of resentment". Resentment. "Bitter indignation at being treated unfairly." Unfair. "Unkind. Inconsiderate. Unreasonable."
  If it were up to me, I would say those are easy feelings. It's easy to resent. To become bitter. It would be much more difficult to forgive. To have goodwill towards someone who has done you an unkindness.
  But I didn't make up the english language, and I suppose it's not my job to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment