Sunday, December 7, 2014

Missing Home

It's weird to think I won't see my family for a year. In fact, it's a concept so foreign that I find myself making plans, or putting off telling them this or that, because I figure it will be more interesting, or fun to tell them in person. And then, later, I have to check myself and remember that there are no plans to see them in a month or a week. There will be no casual dinner visits for a while.
It certainly is different from anything I've had to adjust to before.
But then again, I feel like God really has prepared me for this my whole life... With Boarding Academy, I was prepared to take on the world alone(ish). And then a series of long distance relationships. I have never actually lived close to a boyfriend. I mean... yes. There were boys at school. And you had to see them ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. But that was just school. During breaks, we wouldn't see each other at all. And with all the rules at school, it's not like we were able to be alone EVER. So always together, never alone, and then never seeing them while we were gone from school.
Anyway. The point is... I feel like I have been training for this, so it's not as hard as you'd imagine.
But it is still very very hard. I miss everyone.
It's lonely here.
I have made a few "friends". I like a family that is pretty similar to ours... Recently married, just moved here, nice. She and I have the same name too. So that's pretty cool. But there are a few differences that make it hard to feel a complete kinship... a few jokes that aren't gotten, a few stances not quite met, a few politics not agreed upon. And so, no. I don't believe we are kindred spirits.
I haven't found one of those here, yet.
Except in my husband, actually.
Haha! It doesn't matter how much time I spend with him, it never quite feels like enough. We don't always have to be doing interesting stuff, either. Just being together is amazing. And him just being close to me is enough to make me forget that a friend might be nice.
Not completely forget, obviously. But it makes it a lot easier to deal with.
I imagined going home for the holidays... Just catching a hop and visiting my mom and family for a week or so. But the idea of leaving my husband behind is so heartbreaking, I could never do it. I'd miss him so so so much.
So while I do miss home exorbitantly, the idea of leaving my husband makes me miss him even more!
I guess that's when you know you made the right choice to get married, eh?

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you have found the person you want to spend your life with! Missing you is SO much easier knowing you are in not-altogether-incompetent hands.

    ReplyDelete