Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Cracks in the window

A pebble hit my window
I want to ignore the chip.
But soon I see the splintering crack
Begin to grow and rip.
His words were dealt in thoughtlessness
And flung without a care
And left me sobbing, hopeless
Feeling raw and bare.
The crack has spread across my vision
But I still pretend I can’t see
Spiderwebs of fractured glass
A tiny chip left unfixed has cost a hefty fee.
Maybe if he had been softer
Had explained his insecurity
I could have carefully locked my heart.
But that was my immaturity.
Whenever the weather changes,
The glass cracks a little more.
I’m forced to face the pebble’s damage
That wasn’t there before.
I had such high hopes in my marriage
Looked with rose colored glasses on.
But then he threw a pebble.
And my ignorant bliss is gone.

But when I opened my heart
And showed him the shattered picture
He wrapped me in strong safe arms
And his words became my scripture
“I hate that you’re so hurt.
I hate that it’s all my fault.
I hate that I have cringed
When all I want is to exalt.
There’s so much time to fix this.
I’m ready to begin the work.
Give you confidence, love, and courage
For every single hurt.”

So we’re replacing the window
With a mosaic of colored glass
A patchwork rainbow the sun can shine through
In out marriage that will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment