Thursday, January 8, 2015

Day 9 (I think…)

So day 7, when I went for a run and did two loops instead of just the one, I don't know if that was an entirely wise decision. I usually get these sharp burning pains in my shins about mid-run… but that day I just kept right on going. It was fine, they kind of went away for a little while, but as I was walking back on my block, something seemed to snap and I got this burn right in the middle of my shin in one spot. It was really red right there, and even my husband agreed that it was hot to the touch. It wasn't unbearable. It was just kind of a weird hot tight feeling. And if I was sitting, I didn't even notice it. Whenever I stood up, though… I could DEFINITELY feel it. So I looked up all these articles about shin splints. I thought it was just the sharp pains that happen in your shins when you exercise, but apparently they are SERIOUS. They can lead to your shin bone splintering, and eventually breaking. Can you imagine? You're just running along and then all of a sudden your leg snaps? Uh, no thank you. So the recommendation is to take it easy and ice and heat your leg. I soaked in a tub for a while and that definitely helped. Then yesterday I walked the whole way, and only one loop. It was hard, but it was nice too… Then when I came home I did a WHOLE bunch of stretching. My leg still felt iffy this morning, but I went out anyway. It loosened up and I ran a good length back.
So I think I'm in the clear, but still!
It's hard to keep up your momentum when your body is telling you to quit. I'm glad I listened enough to help my leg, but didn't give up entirely.
Now I'm faced with a whole other problem!
Cramps. Of the lady variety.
There is NOTHING that wipes me out, quite like the crippling pain of fertility. I beat them today, but as I was walking back, I could feel them coming on. I took a bunch of aspirin. But there is no guarantee that will help.
Yesterday was a hard day emotionally too. I don't know why, but sometimes everything just… sucks. I can't stay happy. I just wallow. I'm a wallower, I think. It's not even that anything happened. It's just that sadness hits me like a sickness. "I've come down with a blue." Like coming down with a cold.
My husband is so good with me when it hits me. He holds my hand. Offers to get me anything I want. He'll let me pick a movie. He's just… there. If I need him.
And I always do. For exactly what he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment